In the previous post here, I talked about how spam-bots were attempting to spam this blog, and what I used to stop it. All went well, until a couple of friends reported (via Facebook and Plurk) that they got errors trying to leave a comment on that blog post. After googling a bit, I found a few articles that reported operational problems with WP-SpamFree, such as this one here. Granted, the number of operational problems compared to the benefits WP-SpamFree is small, it is still a problem, and it may already have happened here on this blog. When I read that article, I thought it sounded like what happened here.
It was because of this that I went searching for a new solution, and I think I might have found it in this plugin here – NoSpamNX.
I did the switch-over right in the middle of a spam-bot attack even! I activated NoSpamNX, then deactivated WP-SpamFree, to minimise the number of spam that may get through. Thankfully none got through, and the NoSpamNX counter started going up as soon as I refreshed the dashboard on WordPress.
Granted, NoSpamNX has less “options” to configure compared to WP-SpamFree, and also it does not block trackback spam, but it did the trick here.I left NoSpamNX running for a couple of days, just to be sure. Thus far I have not had any reports from real humans about any errors.
Comparing the effectiveness of WP-SpamFree and NoSpamNX in fighting spam-bots, I would say both are equally good. The track record for both here at this blog is 100% each. No spam got through. In technical terms, both performed equally impressively. 100% of automated spam are blocked. The only difference is that WP-SpamFree may have inadvertently tried to prevent a real human from commenting. Because of the technique NoSpamNX uses, users will never encounter this problem.
Again, on the user-end, no difference should be obvious. All should still seem as normal.
For now, I have decided to stick with NoSpamNX instead of WP-SpamFree.